Thursday, March 6, 2014

[REACTION POST] 2NE1'S Album 'Crush'


_________________________________________________________________________________


Okay, 2NE1'S Crush album vague-non-critical-thoughts.



As a dedicated Blackjack, waiting four years for a full album, and maybe technically two because I Am The Best was amazing for me to last me up to this point.

I still need to remind myself to breathe after such excitement.

I started listening the day the album came out digitally and I cried so hard, really. Each song was a breath of fresh air.

Anyway, lemme get started. I hate when people look too far in, but that's probably what I'm about to do. I'm so bias over them.

Song 1: CRUSH

    Because the album name is CRUSH, I assumed this song was going to be the main front, you know? I got a little sad inside when there was no music video for it, because I was expecting something like I Am the Best. But, no matter, this song is still as bass-beating and dance-inducing as I wanted. The beginning seemed to have that Egyptian-ish feel and I fell in love so instantly. When CL started the beginning, I got excited. I could just feel the build up and with that "Mwah," we go into the stanzas of my beloved bias, Bom. With the amount she sang in her moment, it reminded me how much I love her voice. I really can't get enough of it. Her notes scream Goddess to me. She'll kill me one day. When Minzy started singing and the drums and claps sped up it caused my heart to speed up until CL came in what I assume is the pre-chorus, considering "They love me 'cuz I'm hot, they love me 'cuz I'm cold, they love me 'cuz I'm real, they love me 'cuz I kill," is the chorus. CL's part in there stuck in my head the most. With Dara's part, "Valentine's Day everyday," I wasn't too fond of it; but hey, I grew to love it. I don't understand why she's looked at with a bad voice, she freaking killed it. CL's rap was of course fierce as always. The "BLEHH" part kind of surprised me and made me wince a little, but no matter. I'm not a critique, I go with it. The end of the song, screaming "Nolja" reminded me of their album in 2010 with how they always had that kind of ending to it? Like Can't Nobody.


Song 2: COME BACK HOME (+ acoustic)

  Dear lord, this song is completely a new genre to me. We get this lullaby in the beginning, so I thought it would be a soft kind of thing. Suddenly it gets into reggae and I'm just like, mind blown. CL and Minzy just kicked ass with the power put into the beginning. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. It was so new! I think when Dara sings is my most favourite. She can have this angst-feeling in her voice and it gives that softer side to the meaning Come Back Home. I think all in all, Come Back Home is a song meant for Dara. And then the reggae just goes off into another genre and at first I was "???" then I just started getting so inclined. Bom, killing those notes had me burst into tears. Not just the fact "Can you come back home?" would make anyone cry, but you can literally hear the emotion. Now, when we get into Dara's part again, I was thoroughly shocked with another kind of genre change. Her voice was pitched higher, wasn't it? Nonetheless, as eerie as it first sounded, it just fit completely well and brought this edge that, not only do they just wait for whoever to come home, but can sound a little demanding; beckoning, really. The rap of the acoustic version was such a beautiful fit I wanted to learn it all right away. Never had I heard a rap so calm before from CL and I loved it.

Song 3: Gotta Be You (너 아님 안돼)

I watched the interview of 2NE1 and got really excited Bom and I shared our favourite song of the album. The beginning was peculiar, I couldn't make out what kind of instrument/noise it was. Oh, but how much I loved it. By this point, I really thought CL was going to be the center again, and more-so I was right. Not critiquing, it just seems by the first two, she'd have big parts. I'm not sure which ones she's written, but power to her! The rap was slower than I thought it would be and I actually really appreciated it. The music suddenly changed again when it went over to Minzy and I don't know why I hadn't expected it yet. Suddenly it sounded like this patriotic kind of thing and so upbeat. And then "It ain't over 'till it's over". Taeyang, yeah? No, no, though, really it got me hype over it. Then how suddenly her voice drifts off? THAT HAD TO BE SUCH A FANTASTIC PART. Oh, but my Bommie. My Bommie. The feels of her singing so much. Singing the notes I'll never hit in my life. I love this chorus so much, I still have to grasp on to something when I listen to it. The "Oh"s were what really made me love this song, I have no idea. I just love how much singing Bom gets in this song, especially when the music turns out. This song has such a perfect melody and best background music to it that it has to be my favourite song for probably the next year.


Song 4: If I Were You (살아 봤으면 해)

The drumming in the beginning reminded me of F(x)'s Dear Daddy, and I'm afraid that's gonna cause one of those moments where I go "WHICH ONE IS THIS?" (Like with Sherlock, Spoiler, and Clue) when this goes on to my iPod until Teddy says something (I can't hear what that is, though). When I heard that DARA started this song, I thought this song should've totally been a solo for her. Sure a few tweaks of parts, or maybe not even, but I feel like Sandara would own this song to death. I love when Minzy hits high notes and that one part she goes up. . . I have no idea how to describe it. In the chorus, when it sounded like an orchestra started, apparently it actually isn't, but nonetheless, it sounded more than just a beautiful orchestra. It had these quick strokes of sounds and they sound like it should be for the background for a humour situation or even a little creepy, but in the end, it just becomes so . . . fitting to this feeling. How to describe? Of course, by now, Bom's singing just made me feel all the feel. Oh, but CL's part. The part before and including her "Areumdaun" (Or so I believe it's spelled) just added that sort of jazz-ish or soul feel.

Song 5: Good to You (착한 여자)

I knew this would be another slow song, but I didn't know those little echoing sounds would be there and we all know that's a lot different than what we may hear mostly out of Kpop. The highlight of the song is Dara singing the chorus. Perfect, perfect, perfect, perfect, good god. The wispy-ness of it just completely adds to that sad factor of the song and it fits so perfectly. All of the "'Cuz I'm so good to you," was so perfect for it, and Bom's English right after it made me smile a little. Mostly I made out "The love behind your kiss is a lie," and the rest I needed to try and guess. I'm pretty sure it's clear but I have crap hearing. I don't have too much to say for the song because personally, even though I love it, it's not too much of my favourite song, but I wouldn't rate it lowly.

Song 6: Mental Breakdown

CL's solo. I was expecting something outlandish like Baddest Female and I was completely right. The beginning had me hypnotized. I didn't really like Baddest Female and Mental Breakdown both at first because I felt like they were both trying to really go for the Western feeling, but hell, I have to remind myself music is music. I loved how the pitch changed in the beginning. I thought TOP was featuring because it totally sounded like him . . . Until CL's voice showed up. And that "Na na na"s were amazing! It was so creepy in a lot of way, but that's how I'd think of a mental breakdown in this song's case. If I showed this song to someone at my school, they'd call it a mental case's creepy song. I put this on repeat so often I couldn't believe myself. CL's loudspeaker words and "Boom" caught me in so badly I repeat it so often. This rap is something I want to hear live. Just imagine the power she'll turn it into. Those pitch changes are so cool that I still can't wrap my head around it. I especially like the rap after the chorus. This song is just so dark-ish to me. It's not all upbeat like Crush and so, but oh my god, so good.

Song 7: Happy

This song is a lot different from the rest of the album, but still fits so much. I felt like this was the more actual pop version of 2NE1 in general yet at the same time I wouldn't consider it pop. How can you not feel happy from this song? Flawless. Utterly flawless. It's become my go-to song for anything. I can't even tell what my favourite part of the song is. I'm not a music expert, but I suppose in a song where there's usually an instrumental part before the last chorus is where I loved it most. The beat kept up and the "Happy ending" lyrics was just plain fun. It was all reggae-ish to me and I think 2NE1's converting me into going into reggae alone.

Song 8: SCREAM

I first listened to Scream when it was Japanese, and I will admit, I wasn't too pleased with it. Sure, the music, bass, and drumming, spot on. But the lyrics just seemed a little . . . dragging on? It didn't seem like it was too hype like 2NE1's usual image is. Hey, they can change it up whenever they want, it just took time to get used to. I'm so used to the Japanese version now that I bet after listening to the Korean, I'm going to start mixing lyrics like I do with EXO. This song converted so well into Korean, I was so happy with it. Sometimes it's hard to add or take out syllables in an original song but this was so out-done. Dara's parts were my favourite of the most. She never has to trill in her life. Those notes just held out is beauty to me. (Don't get me started on Bom.)

Song 9: Baby I Miss You

At first, I thought this was going to be Missing You, and a mistake I shouldn't have made. The beginning is so catchy that I repeat it constantly. But mostly, I find myself having a hard time getting into it and through it. Don't get me wrong, the song's fabulous, especially the chorus and the music, but to me, it's just one of those songs in an album you just don't catch on, and I feel bad about it!



This was a lot longer than I thought it would be, but there we go. I'm not good with music organization and can't really explain about it, yet I should be able to, my bad. xD

I plan on buying the album, I'm so excited! I've waited so long for this perfection and it's finally here!

Bye!

~FlaMinhoe






No comments:

Post a Comment